Despite the ending, our story was a beautiful one.
I met Joe when I was 14 and I loved him by the time I turned
15. He placed the earphones of his walkman over my ears so I could listen to
Puff Daddy’s first single, Can’t Nobody Hold Me Down, while we stood outside
the BB&N ice rink, and everything about him felt kind, warm, hopeful. Joe
was ingrained in our small family’s fabric as we both headed off to different colleges.
I have more memories that include him than memories that don’t.
I know nothing of fighting in wars. But I do know
experiencing the most terrifying of circumstances with others binds you to them
for life. Maia, Joe, and I sat in
our muddy trench, bombs exploding overhead, passing a cigarette between us. As
we held vigil in my mom’s room, night after night, our band of brothers was
formed. We alone watched our
mother deteriorate. We alone knew the hard questions, the devastating answers; it
was like I was trying desperately to hold water in my cupped hands. I knew it would
inevitably all slip through. And Joe held his hands under mine, not because he
knew he could stop the unavoidable, but so that we would experience the loss
together. In the tumultuous and trying years that followed our mother’s death,
Maia, Joe, and I knew that there was one thing that could have made the entire
situation intolerable: if we had for some reason been forced to go through it
all alone.
I don't think I ever admitted to Joe how much I learned from
him throughout our time together because I was too proud and I get
uncomfortable having to lavish praise on people. But I know that some of the lessons I learned from him are
the reason I was able to survive losing my mom, and (ironically) losing him.
Joe was an unusual case. Someone who could be candid with his emotions while retaining
fiercely masculine traits and behaviors; an anomaly, and a difficult feat in a
world that places so much pressure on men to provide but not feel. And for me,
being raised by a mother who never allowed herself to get too emotional or to
discuss her feelings (at least not to her children), Joe’s candidness, after
years and years, wore off. He wouldn’t let me get away with unjustified or unexplained
anger or sadness as my mother often got away with. Most importantly, he forced
me to be accountable for those emotions. It seems simple and obvious, but once
I took accountability, I realized I had more control than I ever had while sweeping
those feelings aside.
Joe was adept at playing devil’s advocate; he understood how
to challenge me so that I could better understand my values. But when my mom
got sick, he knew when to offer advice delicately, and when to just offer
silence. The last few days of my mom’s life were spent in hospice, in an old
colonial mansion, surrounded by an ice-covered forest. She was not awake. Our
last true words had already been exchanged. Over the previous few months, mom
and I had gotten sucked into watching my absolute favorite show of all time,
Gilmore Girls. The series had reached a climax right around the time we started
watching together: Rory and Lorelai, daughter and mother, had finally reunited
after an uncharacteristic time apart. Unfortunately we started missing episodes after her health
took its final turn. Joe bought me all the DVDs, so we had the show on
constantly while in that old white house, waiting for my mom’s last breath.
Late one evening I was sitting in a rocking chair in her room, in the dark,
half-watching Gilmore Girls, half-watching my mom’s body, and waiting. The
waiting blended everything together during those weeks. My memories from that
time are like a recollection of a dreamscape, not reality. Food had no taste.
Meals were forced and I was never sated. And Joe was always there, in the
background, trying to take care of me so I could take care of my mom.
That evening he had slipped out to run some errands and I barely
acknowledged his departure. He returned to the darkness quietly and placed a
paper bag in my lap. I looked up at him, and he smiled “pumpkin loaf!” Endlessly
enthusiastic. I broke off a small corner and put it in my mouth. And cried. It
tasted so good. He then handed me a chocolate milk which I took and drank like
a thirsty child. He held my hand as tears streamed into my lap.
Joe had always easily understood what made me happy, but
during that time when happiness wasn’t an achievable end goal, he understood
what brought me comfort. Moments we never spoke of again but that are invisibly
seared into our flesh. So I guess that is why, despite the tragic end of our
partnership, our story is one that must continue. Awkwardly at times, but written
with forgiveness in our hearts and a lightness in knowing the worst has passed.
Exhausted, I reach Hill Three, Roy.
So beautifully written, wish I could have paid tribute in well written prose to my mother...bless you Martina, your mother was very proud of you.
ReplyDelete