Not another marathon training blog. Promise.
Welcome! I ran my first marathon four months after my mother died from cancer. I have learned the most painful and beautiful truths since losing her. Thank you for letting me share them.

Monday, April 8, 2013

A Triptych: Men, lost and found (cont'd)

Hill Three, Roy
The summer after my mom died I quit my job and spent three months in Croatia. By the time I got home, the attorney who was the executor of my mother’s estate had successfully dug her talons into everything. I had no control over my home, or who lived in it. The first week back I was working in the garden to take my mind off growing frustrations with the attorney. New tenants (selected by the executor) came into the yard with their German Shepherd who promptly charged me and bit me multiple times, including a solid chomp on my thigh. An hour later it was still bleeding so I headed to the ER. Unbeknownst to me, dog and cat bites can be the source of serious infections that lead to amputations or even death. The Indian doctor cleaning out the red punctures in my leg assured me I had done the right thing by coming to the hospital and described in great detail how an infection from a dog bite had spiraled into an amputation he had performed in that very ER. I spent the night hooked up to antibiotics in a cold, white room, feeling absolutely alone. My sister was across the Atlantic Ocean, my mom was gone, Joe had left for the evening, and I’m fairly certain I didn’t even attempt to call my dad that night.

My parents’ divorce shouldn’t have created the gigantic fissure that it did. After all, my dad, Roy, still lived in the same town. But predictably when you go from seeing someone everyday to seeing them a few times a week, once a week, the relationship changes; something is lost. Or I guess in our case, because I was a kid, a relationship that had only just begun was stunted. My mom became an additional suppressant as her anger, frustration, and pride, fueled a decade long campaign to make sure my sister and I always felt guilty for spending time with him. It is one of the few things I can say my mother truly approached in the wrong way.

With my mom gone, the shallow nature of the relationship my sister and I had with our dad was exposed and we all grappled with how to move forward. We were not orphans, of course. But there were moments when it felt that way. I think my dad maybe felt too much time had passed to salvage anything and for me, I never felt like anything I did was satisfactory to a man who was, and still is, essentially a genius. And like many intellectually gifted people, he has never had issues explaining engineering concepts or anything technical, and I mean anything, but telling me he loves me or even that he’s proud of me, has never been easy. Minus the genius part, I know we have many similarities.

I was released from the hospital the next day. The executor of the estate called to inform me that we wouldn’t be asking the tenants to leave because the house needed the income and I would have to “just deal with the dog.”

Three months later, my stepmom was out of town for the weekend and I had made plans to go to dinner with my dad Friday night. I called him early that evening but he said he was feeling really tired after a long week and as a side note, he mentioned how annoyed he was that their gigantic orange cat, Charlie, had once again bitten him. He said we’d have dinner the next night. After several attempts I finally reached him the next evening and found out he had slept most of the day and the hand the cat had bitten was swollen. We said goodbye and I hung up the phone. And then it hit me like a shovel to the back of the head. I called him back and said I’d be there in 10 minutes to take him to the ER. I had never really challenged my dad’s knowledge in the past, but I explained to him with absolute certainty what was happening and he was in too much pain to protest.

We sat in the ER for several hours as I watched the redness that had engulfed his hand spread up his arm. Seeing him in any pain was a new experience (had I ever seen him in pain before?), but something more unsettling was accepting a role as his advocate. When my mother was sick I put all my trust in doctors who I realize now didn’t have all the answers. But I was too uncomfortable and insecure to push back, to be an active advocate for her. It took about five years after her death for the guilt from that silence to dissipate. As I watched my dad squeeze his eyes shut once again from the pain, I got up and walked over to the ER’s gatekeeper. I had already politely checked in with the young woman a few times and she had politely smiled back and told me he would be seen as soon as possible.

I felt a vicious desperation as I leaned over the counter to lessen the distance between us. “I understand my father isn’t bleeding or unconscious and that’s all you really care about,” I took a breath to steady my voice. “But I know exactly what is wrong with him and I’ve been sitting here for hours watching the infection spread up his arm. If he ends up losing his hand, or his arm, because of your fucking ignorance, it’s going to be on you.” She raised her eyebrows. I felt the tears flood my eyes. She picked up the phone; I walked back to my dad before I could hear what she said. A few minutes later I was watching a doctor unsuccessfully flush the wound. Two days later my dad had surgery to remove the dead tissue and stop the cellulitis. The doctor said if he had waited 24 more hours he would have lost his hand.

It was the first moment I had ever felt protective of my father and certainly the first time I had taken responsibility for his well-being. Over the last six or seven years I’ve come to see how lessons can be learned from every situation, good or bad. Sometimes it takes some digging to wrap your head around why something may be happening. As I sat in the hospital, machines dripping and beeping around me after getting bit by the dog, I definitely felt like throwing my hands up and screaming “what the hell!” But it made obvious sense three months later as I sat next to my dad post-surgery, machines dripping and beeping all around us. Maybe it was the universe understanding that it was dealing with two obstinate individuals and it needed to be explicit. Message received.

 A week or so after he was released from the hospital, the gauntlet was thrown down. Knowing that I had been struggling with the executor, my dad and stepmom opted to join me for a meeting with her. The meeting was explosive; there were accusations and insults thrown back and forth but despite zero progress and no compromise, my dad had slid into a role that I had been longing for him to take. He was enraged and upset - we all were. A common anger, a new common goal, and a family found, re-formed and revitalized. And that obese orange cat sat on the kitchen counter, smirking at all of us.  

We are a work in progress. There is no going back to fill in voids. The time lost is irretrievable, but maybe we can pick up from a simpler time. When Dad had me shooting an enormous basketball underhand through the air towards a rusted orange hoop that may as well have been hanging from the moon. When we hit neon tennis balls back and forth over sagging nets under a hot summer sun. My dad is why I played sports, why I had the tools and confidence to take up running. The first time I had ever been pushed to a physical limit was biking along the Charles River and trying to keep up with him (a cramp gripped my organs and, at age 7, I was sure my life was over). I run the same paths almost daily now.

Like these other men who influence and confound me, my dad kept, and continues to keep, a lot to himself. But I think we’ve crested the hill and have entered the descent. Not one following the other, but side-by-side.

Thank you, gentlemen, for the challenge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment