Not another marathon training blog. Promise.
Welcome! I ran my first marathon four months after my mother died from cancer. I have learned the most painful and beautiful truths since losing her. Thank you for letting me share them.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Limitless: follow-up

The day I picked up a stray book in our kitchen was serendipitous to say the least. I had owned the book for years but was only opening it up for the first time a few days after writing “Limitless.” My sister had extracted it from one of our bookcases to be one of the six or so books she reads at the same time. I’ve now reclaimed it because it speaks so directly to feelings I have found on my own, and tried to describe in this blog. When you’re journeying through uncharted territory within your own body and brain, it is sometimes nice to know that other people have been there, and that the discomfort is indeed pushing you closer to the truth. This stuck with me in particular. And it does not advocate pursuing risky or adrenaline-creating behavior! it means allowing yourself to be exposed to fear you may have otherwise protected yourself from, because in the end, we become more truthful and aware versions of ourselves.

Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructible be found in us. – P. Chodron

No comments:

Post a Comment