Not another marathon training blog. Promise.
Welcome! I ran my first marathon four months after my mother died from cancer. I have learned the most painful and beautiful truths since losing her. Thank you for letting me share them.

Friday, December 10, 2010

"We must be crazy or something"

Winter has set in early. Lucky for me that means my marathon training is about to start.

As the leaves lose their will, let go, and cover the yard I try and pretend like I don’t know what’s coming, like the cars on Route 95 that I can see through the woods at work don’t exist, or the people in the condos across the garden are a dream, but it’s undeniable now. Because more than revealing what is true, the winter is a reminder of loss.

My sister's best friend has lost her mother to a battle with breast cancer. She died on the 1st. I knew the winter had begun. The anniversary of my best friend’s father’s death quickly approaches, followed by the anniversary of the loss of the woman who has led to this winter anxiety – my mother.

The winter was different then than it is now. Basketball sneakers skidding on the court, decorating gingerbread cookies that no one ever ate, secret santas, skating alone with a boyfriend, the first snow. I remember the excitement of waking up and seeing the snow sticking to the screen of my window, my mother coming into my room and whispering in my ear that I could sleep in because school was canceled. Now the snow reminds me of the ambulance. And everything else takes me back to her. The warm smells, the textures, the tastes were all because of her and they are impossible to genuinely re-create. All lost.

My winter running lets me breathe. Last night, dressed for late January temperatures, I hit the pavement fast and hard. I feel quicker in the cold. Brave. My body becomes an engine and runs hot while everyone else pulls their collars up and hats down. The dark quiets the hum of the city. Geese scatter as I push along the trail. I feel myself smiling.


Some steps approach from behind and a man jogs up next to me. He’s smiling too. As he speaks his breath becomes a cloud around us, “we must be crazy or something!” I laugh and reply, “at least a little…” He pulls ahead and disappears into the dark. We may have completely different lives, challenges to face, fears, hopes, but at that moment we are the same. Finding the same freedom, on the same dark night, and returning home smiling.

2 comments:

  1. Williston Holiday Tournament Sportsmanship AwardDecember 11, 2010 at 8:59 PM

    I'm so glad you are writing on your blog again! I check it regularly, hoping that you've written; what a welcome surprise this is. Keep it up!

    Very poignant description of what winter USED to be. I forgot about that. It will be fun again, when we're ready.

    Love you.
    DB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, now that you're writing again, I can start making demands: can you please post your completely outrageous official time from your last marathon? Give yourself some credit!
    I like to brag about you but can never remember your actual time. I say under 3 hours and 30 minutes and everyone says "oh that's practically impossible, are you sure?" and I crumble and say "....no. I dunno. Under 5.5 hours? and maybe it was a half marathon?" and the story loses some of its sparkle.
    DB

    ReplyDelete