Not another marathon training blog. Promise.
Welcome! I ran my first marathon four months after my mother died from cancer. I have learned the most painful and beautiful truths since losing her. Thank you for letting me share them.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Literally and metaphorically

I'm the first one to admit that I love proverbs and idioms and overuse them. I'm this way undoubtedly because my mother was not a native English speaker and was always saying things like "the squeaky wheel gets the oil..." or "waiting for godot..." Growing up, half the time I had no idea what she was talking about. Some phrases I still can't decipher ("I guess it's just you and me bosco").

Last week, for a few mornings in a row, I was driving to work and the full moon was setting in front of me and the rising sun was burning orange in my rearview mirror. I can't stop thinking about the image. I was actually experiencing an end and a beginning. And I know beginnings and endings coincide all the time, but I guess when it involves components of our solar system it is way more dramatic. Maybe it was the universe's way of telling me to work a little harder to find the sun in my rearview, even when it doesn't seem possible.

"When one door closes, another opens."

1 comment:

  1. Martina, this is a beautiful entry. You're a great writer and I'm glad I get the chance to have more insight into your (and Maia's) lives- especially hearing about your mom. Thanks for sharing.

    Rebecca (Maia's friend who loves your dogs) :)

    ReplyDelete