The
running for me is that salt you throw on your sidewalk and steps. It
melts away excuses and makes me dig out of that dangerous mental
toxicity snowbank. Without realizing it, I was doing some serious burying as I inaugurated my seventh marathon training season at the end of
December. Coming off of a month of traveling solo where the only daily
goal was staying present and engaged in the day’s activities and going
to sleep every evening with a clear mind, November and December were
tough. On December 27th, the sad winter sun hit its pathetic apex as I
gently strode over the BU Bridge and happily settled into the route I’ve
run many, many times before. Just beginning mile 2, I pulled off the
paved sidewalk and onto the packed dirt path, and I tripped on a rock
and hit the ground hard. I avoided slamming my knees down at the cost to
my hands. It hurt. And I was bleeding, which was annoying. But I was
most annoyed at the fact that I had tripped a few years ago along the
same exact section, and probably on the same flipping rock. I hopped up
and thought about how complacency is dangerous; never stop respecting
the course.
Leaving a small chunk of flesh and blood behind, I continued
along with my heart beating in my palm. This place has taken its fair
share of blood, sweat, and tears over the last decade. And after about a
half a mile, I decided to acknowledge the significance of the day since
no doubt the trip and fall, the pain and the blood, was a little
tisk-tisk from the universe. Nine years ago to the day, my mom had died
early in the morning. Although she had been unconscious for the last
several days of her life, her timing was purposeful. She found that
small pocket of time between our late night departures and early morning
arrivals, and that’s when she chose to leave her sick, useless body
behind. The news was delivered in a brief phone call and it was the most
painful, devastating relief.
I began to understand the acute pain would
be my companion that day; the dirt and blood embedded in my hand a
reminder of why I started to run in the first place a decade ago. I gave
my hand a few hard shakes to break the surface tension and allow some
blood and dirt to fly off. I closed my fingers back into a fist and
picked up the pace.
I
don’t sit and stew in that dark time when our mom was sick and dying,
but I also don’t try to pretend it didn’t happen. I think it’s important
to return to the bottom of that ravine now and again. The many years
that have passed and the slow trek out means Maia and I sometimes forget
to turn around and look back at all the ground we have covered
together. As the distance grows, it sometimes feels like my mother never
existed; she floats in my mind like a character for a story that never
gets immortalized on paper, a figment that never ages. I dream of her
happiest childhood moments and her proudest accomplishments as a young
woman. They become indistinguishable from my own moments. And now days, even weeks, may
pass without specifically thinking about her or a moment with her. Or
maybe I’ve allowed pieces of her - mannerisms, approaches, opinions - to
become a part of who I am on a daily basis (both the good and the bad).
The
drop in temperatures, the unending snow, and the careful strides I take
along a frozen river path trigger the muscle memory from when it all
both ended and began. The first training season was when I learned to
love the burn that lines your stomach when you are pushing boundaries.
Making the choice to let the grief fuel you. And while the training for
the race will forever be connected to my loss, it more importantly
represents my journey after it.
Let the digging out begin!
No comments:
Post a Comment